Sunday, December 20, 2009

And If You Want Some Fun

Unfortunately, I'm watching Devil's Wears Prada right now. The reason it's happening is because I can't find the remote. It's probably somewhere on my couch, but I'm in the chair. I really don't want to move. Since I don't want to move, I figured I would just watch some clips from last night's SNL on Hulu (at the highest possible volume I can handle).

All in All, this season has been bad. Actually it's been really, really bad. In fact the show hasn't been good since Will Ferrell left. And I don't know if that's an understatement or not. It just hasn't been funny. They use the same actors over and over again. They use the same non-funny hosts that haven't even hit puberty on a regular basis (although once they do hit puberty, they aren't asked back, ever).

But as bad as the season has been, there have been plenty of bright lights. The episode that Taylor Swift hosted was very funny. From her monologue to the Entertainment Tonight spoof Hollywood Dish, it was good. Last night's episode was funny. James Franco and all of his good looks were funny. (And yes, he is good looking.) I'm fine with saying that. Not only is he good looking, but he was also funny. The kissing skit: over the top and I laughed. What Up With That?: always funny and I laughed. The frat skit: wasn't great and I laughed. Vincent Price: actually killed me and I laughed...out loud.

I go onto ew.com on a daily basis and read every article and review because I actually trust and listen to all of them. This morning was the first time that I completely disagreed with the site. The review of Saturday night's episode basically slammed everything about it. But if you watch each skit on it's own, and base them on it's own merit, they weren't that bad. Sure the writing sucks, but the skits weren't bad. When Andy Samberg came out to talk to animals as Mark Whalberg, I laughed and I hate Andy Samberg. Fred Armisen killed all night. Kristen Wiig was funny, as always.

Problem is there are too many critics who are comparing the show to the glory Belushi/Aykroyd, Murphy/Piscopo, Carvey/Myers, Sandler/Farley, and Ferrell/Kattan years, and that's just not fair. This season has been terrible, but there have been plenty of bright lights along the way. I have definitely laughed, so there has to have been some moments that were half way decent. It just hasn't been an absolute disaster as many have described it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment